Available in our Raleigh Office
Within the field of dentistry, sedation dentistry is a rapidly emerging standard of care. Most dentists do not pursue the additional education needed to become certified for sedation dentistry. However, because most physicians have routinely sedated patients for decades for a variety of procedures that are less invasive than working in a patient's mouth, it’s only logical to provide the service to dental patients.
At Raleigh Comprehensive and Cosmetic Dentistry, you can receive sedation treatment in the safe, comfortable environment of our offices. Sedation dentistry can be used for procedures ranging from a simple cleaning to in-office bleaching, to root canals, implants, crowns, and veneers. There is no need to become anxious about or to postpone a needed treatment. Because time will pass without your realizing it, we can often achieve in a single visit what we would do in multiple visits for a patient who would not be receiving sedation.
Why Choose Sedation Dentistry?
Patients find sedation dentistry appealing for one or more of these reasons:
- No dreaded needles – Because oral medication is used, there are no IV needles involved in the sedation process.
- A longer appointment time feels shorter – Sometimes, what might require 2-3 visits can be accomplished in a single visit.
- Help for those who can't get numb – Patients who haven’t been able to become completely numb in the past often find that sedation helps them achieve profound anesthesia. It allows them to be comfortable and relaxed during the dental treatment.
- Relief for jaw pain sufferers – Chronic or consistent jaw pain can make it even more difficult and painful to keep your mouth open during treatment.
- Avoiding back and neck pain – Patients with back, neck, or other physical problems often find it difficult to sit in a dental chair for treatment.
- Relief from nerves and anxiety – Some patients simply don’t like the sounds, sensations, smells, and tastes associated with dental treatment. If you become anxious or simply dislike the dental treatment environment, sedation dentistry might totally change the way you feel about maintaining good dental health.
Sedation Dentistry – Safe and Secure
One of the first things you need to know about sedation dentistry is that it has been around for many years and has been used in literally hundreds of thousands, even into the millions of cases. Dentists do need additional training to become certified to administer and perform oral conscious sedation and sedation dentistry. The curriculum for the training is reviewed and approved by the American Dental Association (ADA), the Academy of General Dentistry (AGD), and state dental regulatory boards throughout the nation. More specifically, the North Carolina State Board of Dental Examiners has approved the curriculum, and is the regulatory body that oversees the sedation dentistry certification process in North Carolina.
Our oral sedation providers are certified by the Dental Organization for Conscious Sedation and continually pursue additional training to learn about the latest advances in the field of sedation dentistry. Patients undergoing sedation are constantly monitored during all aspects of the visit using equipment designed to evaluate the patient’s blood pressure, pulse rate, levels of oxygen saturation in the blood, and other important information. This is very similar to the monitoring that would occur in a hospital setting. During your evaluation and treatment planning appointment, your medical history will be thoroughly reviewed, and the sedation plan and procedures will be explained fully. We provide clear answers to your questions in addition to providing written information for you to review at your convenience.
Comfort Is the Key To Sedation Dentistry
The medications we commonly use during sedation dentistry gradually cycle through your body following your office visit. For that reason, we release our sedation patients into the care of a trusted family member, friend, or companion who can take them home and stay with them for the remainder of the day. Our patients often find that they wake with little or no pain and soreness. And they often require less pain medication than with previous experiences. You can have the beautiful smile and improved dental health you’ve always wanted with sedation dentistry and the excellent care and service provided by Dr. Williamson and his team in our Raleigh office.